31 March 2012

Games I like: Assassin's Creed

NOTHING IS TRUE; EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.

(To be said with great fervor in a heavy Italian accent, or in Arabic that sounds like perfect American. Your call.)

This is so famous that most people have probably heard of it already, but I'll give the lowdown anyway. In Assassin's Creed, you are Desmond Miles, Just Some Guy who was abducted by an evil corporation actually run by the Knights Templar. Using a machine called the Animus, Desmond's captors use him to access the genetic memories of his ancestors, members of the ancient Order of Assassins, to find the secret to ruling the world. Evil conspirators were always so innovative.



Through Desmond, you experience the lives of various long-dead Assassins, discovering shitloads of intrigue and global plots along the way. In the first game, you play as Altaïr Ibn la'Ahad, who suffers from severe aquaphobia and speaks perfect American as he cruises through his native Arab world. This is officially blamed on Animus translating software, but really fuckin' annoying nonetheless considering all the NPCs, whose accents would get them stopped for extra checks in U.S. airports. In the following three games, you assume the role of womanizing, smooth-talking Ezio Auditore da Firenze, a Renaissance Italian who, thanks to the new and improved Animus 2.0, has the benefit of speaking cheesy Italian English just like everybody else. Last but not least, in the upcoming and possibly final game, the ancestor will be Connor Kenway, but you can call him Ratohnhaké:ton. He was alive during the American Revolution, and is apparently five thousand times more awesome than any other assassin because he climbs trees.

Regardless of which game you play, they will all contain parkouring like a boss, both story and side missions that will let you do your job well with an array of sweet weapons, and an engrossing modern-day story of ancient conspiracy.

The first game is repetitive and mostly a necessity story-wise. In the second, elements of a "real game" start showing up, such as varied sidequests and more optional collectibles. We are introduced to a new cast of characters in the modern world, and things in general feel more refined and developed. Oh, and the ending is extremely epic. (The second game is my favorite, unless you couldn't tell.) The next two Ezio-centric games, AC: Brotherhood and AC: Revelations, include the Full Synchronization addition with extra challenges to complete each memory "properly," which makes someone who is bad at the mechanics of gaming (like me) suffer from a permanent inadequacy complex. *sobs forever*

What I like best about Assassin's Creed is the great balance between the dual storylines - romantic historical backdrops alongside modern sci-fi - that tie into each other perfectly and create an awesome sense of continuity and legacy. The characters, especially Desmond and company, have great personalities, gameplay is badass and fun, and it is actually educational! Well, if you read the databases it is. I swear I learned more about Renaissance Italy from these games than I did from my history teacher. Christ.

I'm not even through the starting stages of Revelations yet, but I started playing the first game early this year upon recommendation from a friend, and so far regret nothing. Over a short time, these games have achieved the status "deeply endeared" in my heart. Now excuse me as I go wait for October.


*ENDLESS ASS PUNS*

11 comments:

  1. I haven't started playing Revelations yet, and this makes me sad because I did love the Assassin's Creed games, and part of it was the nice balance of stories and how well and accurate they are historically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the game, but haven't gotten far at all. School and video games don't get along.

      Delete
  2. Yes but still the franchise is being milked VERY heavily. What was it, seven games in two years?

    Happy ass-ass-inating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never played these games but they have always interested me. Though I don't understand, if he plays as a different ancestor each game how come he was the same ancestor for three games? It's like the game creators really liked the "womanising" character lol

    Also, this is very important. Is it a hack and slash combat or strategy take turns to hit each other combat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the in-story explanation for that is that the previous Animus test subject (number 16) became obsessed with Ezio's Italy. Ezio in particular has some very extraordinary experiences, and there is corrupted data within memories that may be vital, so Desmond spends a long time with Ezio to try to unravel the mysteries. Or else Ubisoft just liked the fucker yeah.

      Hack and slash!!!! Press all the buttons!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. (Although there is strategy involved as well, regarding staying hidden and getting full synchronization on some missions, and then there're optional puzzles too.)

      Delete
    3. Oh okay that makes sense!

      And fuck yeah - hack and slash is awesome! I hate games where you have to sit and wait to be hit, I find that so infuriating and pointless. But the strategy stuff concerning missions and puzzles doesn't bother me, it's mainly just the combat lol

      Delete
    4. Haha yeah, Final Fantasy had me so confused for a while. The epic rage levels summoned by combat just ain't the same when you aren't pummeling the bastards.

      Delete
  4. I love Assassin's Creed II. Sadly, I haven't been able to play any of the other ones, but my little brother has the original, and I know the basic details about sweet ol' Alty.
    It kind of sucks that I haven't been making any time for playing it lately, I should totes do that once I have some time off from HEAPS OF SCHOOL WORK.

    (I'm also not all that awesome at it.. I mean, I get by, but I'd never be able to complete all the Synchronization extras in Brotherhood and Revelations. >:?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACII is the best one. Well, I've hardly played Revelations, but it's got the stupid full synch thing which is ruining my self-esteem :D

      Altaïr is great. I actually like him more than Ezio, not counting his shitty accent.

      And word. You need 75% synch to unlock an extra mission in Brotherhood, but I can't seem to get past 69%, haha.

      Delete