29 March 2012

A Sad Product of the Sedentary Age

I'm not the only cliché high school brainy kid who's had issues with P.E., but that definitely doesn't make it any easier. I am the slowest, the weakest and the shittiest at throwing balls in my entire class (much of this tragically proven through horridly public tests whose results were then to be compared with an average, oh the trauma). The overweight and asthmatic alike whoop my unathletic ass. I dislike exercise and hardly ever do any, so when we got this assignment to create a training plan (to be followed six days a week for two months) and then show improved results at the end of the period, I wanted to break down and cry. No wait, I did. (I didn't do the assignment and was - actually legitimately - absent on the re-test day, so I may be in some deep shit, but that's another matter.)


The thing is that it's not the exercise itself that deters me, it's the way the whole thing is organized. We just finished a painfully short dance unit, comprised of three lessons, which was really, really fun - not competitive, easily adaptable for both groups and individuals, alterable exertion levels, and a design where the performance itself is intrinsically more important than the final score. Come next lesson we'll be doing invasion sports instead. COOPERATE. SCORE. WIN!!!! Yay.

When you're pretty bad at P.E. and are playing team sports against people who're average, you learn to stay out of the way. If you know that if it were up to you, the team would lose every time, things tend to lose their appeal. Plus, there's no help to be had for a subject like this - no support groups or anything like there are for math or English. Which should be logical since it's not academic at all ... but apparently you have to pass to become eligible for university. Which also wouldn't be a problem - participation used to be enough - but at this school, not only do they give us homework, but homework that is more difficult and at least twice as time-consuming as that for any other subject. And then there's the whole thing about how public everything is - being red-faced, unable to breathe, and so sore the fillings in your teeth hurt (which actually happened once) is, in my opinion, slightly more humiliating then looking disappointed after a bad test score.

yeah pretty much

I'd love it if they had some sort of alternative P.E. class with a larger focus on individual activities, like dancing, yoga, or even aerobics-type exercise. I might even enjoy Physical Education then. But for now I guess it's back to the sidelines. Not just because of self-pity either, mind you: I dislike the thought of my glasses shattering from the force of a stray projectile.

Lobbing flying projectiles!!! Whoever invented organized sports was a sadist, I tell you.

Did you guys have issues with Physical Education, or was it just another subject, or even one of your best subjects? Was there anything you'd rather have done during this time? (Such as actual schoolwork???)

Bluh. Gonna get off my own case now and go do something productive. Like dance. Or read.

...yeah, read.

13 comments:

  1. Can you not see shit without your glasses? I can do fine without mine on, though I can't read text for shit if it's far away. (And I don't strike the smashing figure I usually do.)

    I heard you on this one before, so there isn't much new for me to say here. My PE was very different. Mostly just fucking about, doing some shit, getting graded for effort (and sometimes achievement) but that was all really. Not too bad a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see without them ("HOW MANY FINGERS AM I HOLDING UP!?!?!?" is a classic douche move from the twenty-twenties), but very shittily; things a few decimeters from my face are blurred and I can't discern many details (have to recognize people via voice and color). But they were fucking expensive so I would prefer if they stay whole.

      PE used to be like this for me, in every school, and this is the fourth school I've attended. My teacher has a Jesus complex and thinks he is helping us be better people via his class. I wish he would just ignore me.

      Delete
  2. I hated P.E with a passion. Mainly because I was and still am, an unfit bastard. I remember walking into the next class after it once and the boys pissing themselves laughing at my beetroot face. Not pleasant. The smokers were even fitter than me which was embarrassing. And yes, I wished so much that I could have been in the libary instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend is overweight and asthmatic and could run more laps than I could, so I understand that predicament. My class is all girls, so at least I'm rid of the frightening side effects of testosterone when exposed to spherical objects, but getting owned by every other girl isn't that great either.

      Delete
  3. I'm in the same situation as Fang where the class itself did not technically require much of an effort, but I wholeheartedly agree with Hazel. I'm not good at sports, I don't play sports, I hardly ever excersize, and one of the worst things about that is that if you start excersizing to build up your condition you look and feel like an idiot. It's basically a vicious cycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many times yes. I've dismissed the idea of jogging or whatever to get fitter once I remember the abdominal pain and VERY UNKAWAII BLUSH that strikes when I try. (Looking and feeling like an idiot is even worse in front of people, too.)

      Delete
  4. Hey you should count yourself slightly luckier than me. At my school, not only was I bad at PE (horrible fitness levels bluh) but for a year I had to do PE and then walk, up a steep incline, and THEN walk up five sets of stairs for science. One time a teacher saw me before I went into the class and insisted I waited and sat down before going in to class. Another time I was actually sent home because they thought I was gonna die. Let me tell you, walking in to class late because you're about to have a heart attack in the hall, and being sent home because you looked like death, are very very embarrassing. Thankfully once I hit year 10 I could (and did) drop PE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Counting myself slightly luckier than you*
      Although I do have math, and then science, on the top floor of the building right after PE and my locker is at the bottom ;D But though I have not yet found myself in a situation QUITE that awful, you have my deepest, deepest sympathies. :c
      But you are lucky in a way. I can't drop that shit until I'm in year 12. At least it's only once a week.

      Delete
  5. Well, I'm not great at P.E. myself but at least I can blame my asthma AND being overweight for that, also my P.E. used to be fairly painless and involved a few things I was actually quite good at, such as boxing and badminton. Your P.E. is way worse, I mean you have HOMEWORK, you are not supposed to have homework in P.E., it's wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember how you laughed at me when you could run better xD
      And yes. There is some sort of fundamental law that says it is wrong. Yet this trouble prevails.

      Delete
  6. homework for P.E? :O
    wow, my school didn't pay much attention to any kind of physical education. If you wanted to do something, you did, or you just sat around. And we often didn't have PE at all. I did not like it.
    Although i agree, there should be yoga and dance type things as well.

    I like your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Wrong as that is, yes.
      Haha, that sounds like an ideal situation to me. =w=

      Thank you!! :D

      Delete
  7. I've heard it said that rowing is the sport for people who are not good at ball sports.

    ReplyDelete