31 March 2012

Earth Hour - descend into darkness plz

So did you guys turn out your lights for Earth Hour?

I didn't. I think the whole thing is a big farce, to be honest.

We need so much less of this shitty marketing campaign.
Granted, this is from 2009, but how misleading can you get?

I'm not going to go all "Ooooh, it must feel so good to pretend to do something for climate change for one hour a year, huuuuuhhh???" Awareness is good, etc., etc., and if people want to use a symbolic manifestation to show their support, then go for it. What I don't like is the way it's marketed as something that's actually making a difference, because it's not. I'm not saying that Earth Hour has never led anybody to a more climate-friendly lifestyle, just that it's not as massive and amazing an incentive as the organizers like to claim. Turning out the lights and being a Dweller in Darknesssssss for an hour is a fun thing to do, for people with kids or people who want to have sex or people who are just bored, so of course it won't be difficult to get a large following. Nor is it a big deal for all these ~140 countries to jump on the bandwagon. Because it's just an hour, right?

BUT! How many people start eating vegetarian or taking public transportation in the freezing cold? We're not seeing a lot of radically changing lifestyles. And that's okay. Me, I'm a meat-eater who takes half-hour hot showers. Turning out the lights won't change that, and I'd prefer to be able to see for an hour and then leave the lights off for 12 hours while I sleep.

Pity we don't see more of this.

Keep Earth Hour-ing if you feel like it. I'm just disappointed in the people behind this for treating it as a call to arms and people from all walks of life uniting under a common goal, when it's really just a bunch of dorks giggling in the dark. Sure, use it as a symbol or use it for promotion, but the way Earth Hour is presented, it's as if this small action is enough to fill your debt to the climate for the entire year just because so many people do it. (And as somebody said, the marketing for Earth Hour likely consumes so much energy that it nullifies and the non-effect of Earth Hour and then drives laps around it.)

Ah well. At least those of us who're having sex are happy.

16 comments:

  1. How dare you?! I just saved the world by turning my lights off, god damnit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am part of the Great Conspiracy. My life's goal is to extinguish all forms of positive activism, and thus ultimately achieve the end of the world.

      Delete
    2. and i bet you hate rainbows too

      Delete
    3. THEY DESERVE THE CRUELEST OF DEATHS

      Delete
    4. HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE RAINBOWS SOPHIA I THOUGHT I COULD TRUST YOU :C

      Delete
  2. I am not sure what to write here since the above post pretty much describe my opinion, but yes, it's really stupid when people only do symbolic things to show how much they "care", I guess it's the best way to pretend to care about the environment without actually doing anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's like Kony 2012 in a lot of ways. But don't even get me started! >_<

      Delete
  3. I think I was outside the house when Earth Hour happened so I probably missed it. It would take more than turning my lights out for one hour to correct what I do to the environment with my electricity draining ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, win! And yeah, the same probably rings true for everyone.

      Delete
  4. I keep all the lights off at my place, to be fair though I was at a friends...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess inofficial participation works too? :D

      Delete
  5. I don't think switching off your lights for one hour would do much good. if you are so concerned try saving electricity the traditional way, like switching it off when you don't need it rather than going blind one night for an hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're completely right! Of course, Earth Hour is completely symbolic, but the way they present it it's as if it's saving the universe.

      Delete
  6. Oh dear, I completely forgot about Earth Hour but I never participate in it anyway.

    I think it's a good concept but like you I don't think it helps that much. I don't see the likes of China and America (the worlds greatest polluters) turning off for example. And that's where things need to change in order for the world to recover

    ReplyDelete