04 April 2012

Background Ambiance

This is the kind of badly phrased post that makes me really glad this blog is now e%c100sively populated by a single-digit number of persons who I like because they are nice. You've been warned.

One thing I've never really understood is people's passion for music. Don't get me wrong, I like music too. However, I find it difficult to appreciate solely on its own merits. My favorite music, or any music that I think is especially good, is usually connected to a memory or creates a certain atmosphere. I enjoy instrumental music very much, like smooth jazz, piano solos, and epic soundtrack stuff - it's relaxing and very easy to work to. Music that is catchy or pleasant also ends up on my iPod as a way to pass the time while traveling. And of course, some stuff just sounds good. I like having music on while browsing the internet or writing or not really doing much in particular, but I never just listen to music. The only time I immerse myself in it is when I'm reminiscing (quick example: listening through the early Homestuck albums and getting nostalgic feelings for all the characters especially John).

Maybe I'm missing out on something massive here, but what I really don't get is all those "music is my drug <33333 post this if you can't live without music!1!!11!!" shenanigans (and their more sophisticated, non-Myspace Facebook counterparts). Music seems to be such a huge passion for so many people, and I wonder why this is. Is it because it's accessible, and easy for any hearing person to listen to a 3-minute song (as opposed to, say, reading a 700-page novel)? Or because there's often subculture and community that comes with being a fan? Is it because concerts are fun (I have never been to a "real" concert, nor do I really want to - just seems loud to me, and I am sound-sensitive), or because musicians are people it feels good to look up to? None, some, or all of the above?

I couldn't find any good pictures for this post so here is one of a giraffe

I very seldom, pardon my French, give a shit about the lyrics or the musicians behind the work. Which, uh, sounds a little harsh. But what I mean is, of course there are bands I like, but I don't usually bother finding out stuff about the members even to give them a tip of the hat. I listen to plenty of Japanese music with lyrics I do not understand, nor aim to, simply because my intent is to have some nice audio in the background while doing something else. I do look up lyrics sometimes, and I absolutely love songs that try to tell a story - these I can turn to for quick inspiration if I want to write. But repetitive lines about losing or seeking love, or being alone, misunderstood and going through tough times, or just something weird and whimsical that needs to be interpreted, really don't do anything for me. There are plenty of songs I like with those kinds of lyrics, but I kinda tune them out in favor of a pleasing listening experience. I know tons of people who actually relate, though. I'm not looking to undermine anybody's experiences, but I've heard so many people talk about bands "saving their lives" via their music and I, with my preferences, just don't understand how. (But then again I have never been suicidal. Or understood poetry.)

Yeah, yeah. People are into different things, I know. But it is so much easier to find somebody who loves music (although it may be hard to find someone who likes your particular kind of music) than, say, rock climbing. At least in the average gaggle of teens.

Don't even really know what my point is, besides emphasizing a slight aberration of opinion in my case since I am, in fact, a poorly closeted hipster. Why is this in any way relevant? Well, subtle differences in motivation can create massive amounts of "not having fun" when a topic comes up for discussion, if you're with the minority. And in every group of friends, there is always a mandatory conversation about music. Kind of like there is always a mandatory conversation about horror films, or amusement parks (although not necessarily horror films about amusement parks), or other things that yours truly really does not like. Being actively unsettled - or just bored - by things most people find very entertaining kind of sucks.

Okay, have I made my sad special snowflake problem clear? Good. What about the rest of you? Is there anything that people really adore discussing that just kinda ... puts you the hell off?

(ON A HAPPIER NOTE: Did I mention the part about epic soundtrack stuff?????)


12 comments:

  1. Well I am one of the people who can say I feel that music did save my life at at least one point. Having had some of the experiences I've had, music does sometimes reach me on a very deep level. Though there is some music I enjoy just for the Hell of it. I like listening to it, or it inspires emotions in me. Why I have the My Little Pony soundtrack though is anyone's guess. As for things people enjoy discussing that I don't, soap operas and reality TV are definitely up there. Every time one of the talent competitions is on TV, or some big reality TV show, I don't really talk to people because I don't watch any of it, and really don't plan to. This has caused me to be called "boring" on several occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose my indifference is due to music never having been central enough to an event in my life to touch the, shall we say, G-spot of the heart.

      I don't care for talent competitions or reality shows either, so yeah, I totally get that. My life is so difficult that I have the same problem with music TOO! I'm winning this emo-off for now.

      I'm sure the MLP soundtrack is brilliant, although I've yet to listen to it in depth. Fang always seemed to think the opening theme was one of the best parts. Why is anyone's guess. (Maybe it reached him on a semi-deep level?)

      Delete
  2. Firstly, I ADORE TWO STEPS FROM HELL! Their songs are uber amazing. And the Game of Thrones theme is brilliant too :)

    I don't get how people "would die" without music either, it's the same as people who say "food is my passion" etc

    Maybe I'm just a cynic because I don't really have any passions lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I would die without food, Hazel. I WOULD DIE.

      Jests (????) aside, though, I agree with everything you said and am glad you get my not getting it!

      Delete
  3. Much like comics are superior to single paintings or "real" novels because it combines the two, music is about combining the written word with audio! So when someone manages to write words that go so well with a tune it's just jdhkjdh respect. also you can dance to it.
    y m i even writing these comments in english haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also sry 4 stalking ur blog

      Delete
    2. u kin stalk mah blawg es cool
      You are commenting in English because that is the language spoken in this realm. When in Rome, ya know.
      (If actually in Rome, speak Italian.)

      No, comics are inferior to both by diluting the poignancy of writing and the painstaking detail of art in a clumsy 30-page mashup of both. But yeah since you like spoken word I guess that means you understand verse which I do not. Lyrics are good only as catalysts, inspiration for a work of proper prose, or reminders of feel-inducing OTPs.

      Delete
    3. omg y would u say such a thing comics are not inferior!!! u r inferior!!
      No but the thing with comics is that they're so hard to write. Just because they require the author to have a good understanding of dialogue and how to use images to tell thingsss. it's impossible i tell you.
      and how can you not like spoken word of verses or music or w/e? Lyrics that are complete by themselves are brilliant and inspiring and all that good stuff. then of course there is a lot of shit music ('i've got a hangover woho i've been drinking too much for sure'<3) but it's worth it cause it's fun which reminds me off i go to msn to link you

      Delete
  4. Well, I listen to music. ...and I don't think I could stand very long without it, really. Partly because I can't cycle for shit without my music on anymore.
    Also I put music on and take the time to listen to it occasionally. Because beauty and miracles and whatnot. Let my imagination run wild, mental storywriting as I go. Also epic or rushing music gets me pumped like crazy. Iron Knight from the new falbum, stuff's UNREAL.
    Not into songs with lyrics that much. I mean I do listen to it, though most of it is J-something (guilty pleasure, sort of) and Akeboshi. Japanese artist, mostly English songs, the dude is great and he makes me get close to crying sometimes.
    Other than that most lyrics suck due to lovey-dovey shit I'll never understand and angsty teen-related bullshit. But Lev'll probably come over and recommend a shitton of bands and artists that do with pretty good lyrics and such. We're just living under rocks music-wise.
    HIPSTER PALS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, I do enjoy instrumental music as a backdrop. It's just not in any way central to my life. And yeah, music is DEFINITELY helpful when it comes to mental storywriting, but I can't appreciate a song the way I appreciate an awesome novel. It's a catalyst and a support, not center stage.

      Haven't listened to the album yet, only the first few tracks, but I love the way it's so thematic!

      Delete
  5. "Guys, I think it's about time to have our annual, not to mention mandatory, conversation about horror films about amusement parks!" Bahahahah I can so see that happening. *I'm kind of weird*.
    But I know what you mean. Even though I personally like to know lyrics (when they're not nonsensical and stubed), and for some reason I find myself gravitating to the lyrically morbid and depressing, it's not really because I can relate. I'm also not the type of person to know everything about an artist and be a really passionate fan, I just don't work that way. Also the only time I listen to music on its own is when I'm trying to fall asleep but have a song stuck in my head or when I'm feeling generally lethargic and can't be bothered to actually do anything but can't take the silence either. IT BURNS US!

    And don't worry about your phrasing, I'm sure we've all done worse at points. ;'D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, I sometimes seriously feel that that is EXACTLY what people do. They are out to get me.

      Knowing the lyrics is great, for loud-singing purposes. But I don't necessarily have to understand them, ya know? (pon pon wei wei wei)

      Werr sankyuu :3

      Delete