16 April 2012

Hugs

Personally, I love hugs. I love leaning on people and I love cuddling with them (especially since my body temperature is usually very chilly, so they make excellent radiators).

However, it must be explicitly stated that hugging, leaning on, or even touching people has to be mutually okay. Now, we're not getting into molestation territory here (mutual molestation??? whoa this is getting all NSFW up in here) - just basic acknowledgement of personal space.


Don't be a Voldemort.


I, for one, even though I like having physical contact, cannot stand when people I do not know and do not want to be close to get in my face. Being an attentive listener does not mean channeling their words into your spirit by permanently keeping your hand up their butt. Nodding along, tapping someone on the shoulder, and making affirmative sounds will do. You do not have to touch me. You do not have to rest your hand tenderly upon my waist whilst gazing into my eyes as though they were the most enticing of woodland pools. I'm OK with you not doing that. Seriously. It's cool.

(In less facetious terms, people who insist on keeping physical contact throughout a conversation kinda give me the heebie-jeebies.)

Another thing I despise is when people slip their arm through mine. To me, walking armsie in armsie with another chick feels kind of like being chained to a massive morningstar-style prison ball by heavy indestructible links. That, or as if they're urinating on me. I am not your territory. I want to be able to drift away without needing to wrest my arm free first. Since I'm so uncomfortable with this gesture, I usually kindly tell people this, and they'll let go. But some people just don't get it. One time I escaped from an arm link only to feel the same arm wrap constrictingly around my shoulders. Flesh status = crawling.


Point: Hugs and touching is great and cozy and fantabulously fuzzy ... if the other person is OK with it. If you aren't certain they are ... don't touch them. At least not if that person is me.

13 comments:

  1. THIS IS ALL SO GOOD TO KNOW FOR WHEN I COME OVER
    I'M ALREADY TAKING NOTES GO FIGURE

    But yes hugs are the bestest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugging you would probably be ok though since you're not a stranger????

      unless you smell bad
      if you do
      i might have to keep you at arm's distance sorry about that

      Delete
    2. Jegus Sophia, he's even got a fucking pen! :'D.

      Delete
    3. Well thank you very kindly for thinking I smell bad.
      I had a shoe on my head once, sure, but that doesn't mean I smell bad.

      Delete
    4. No assumptions, just precautions.
      The head-shoe was great, I wonder if I still have that saved somewhere. But then again you also had a dog in your pants sooooo

      Delete
  2. I know, I like hugging people when I want to, but I hate it when people get all up in your face unsolicitedly. It creeps me out, too.

    Also the Voldemort. x'DD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's like "so how're you agaHEEEEEEEEEEEEYGETOFF."

      Voldy is the master of awkward hugs. :')

      Delete
  3. It was so long ago I actually met you so I'm not sure if I'm one of those people who are allowed to hug you. ;-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you can always try it and see what happens

      Delete
    2. Then I will~ I'll probably get rejected anyway. xD

      Delete
  4. I enjoy hugs. I enjoy giving and receiving hugs, and I get hugged nowhere near enough. But I also respect personal space and don't randomly grab people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the right way!

      Wishing you a hug-filled future.

      Delete
  5. The only person I like hugging me is Paul. Apart from that, I am not a hugger. I find it cringey hugging girls and walking arm in arm. UGH.

    ReplyDelete