22 April 2012

Knowledge

To me, knowledge is the most important thing in the world. I have loved reading and learning since I was very young, always excelled in school, and was always labeled the "smart kid," more or less. My dream is to go to a world-class university and get a doctorate from there. It would be the ultimate achievement.

I believe all knowledge is good knowledge. It is never bad or unnecessary to know or learn about a certain thing (although, of course, this does not excuse boring lessons or unprofessional teachers). However, sometimes I wonder what place being an academic and having most of one's skill focused on the intellectual actually has in the world. For someone like me, whose talents lie in schooling, it's fortunate that today's society values that sort of thing. But what would happen if, say, the zombies attacked, or a meteorite struck the earth? Nobody would care about linguistics or history or politics then. Those things would come later. Isn't it really more important to be able to survive in the wild, build houses, or know how to fight? And even today, aren't charity workers and doctors better, and more important, than book critics and anthropology professors?

On the one hand, I have to face the fact that pursuing this sort of future is selfish, not really helping anyone but myself. But on the other, there is nothing I would rather do.


13 comments:

  1. I do think kids should be taught survival skills in school as well. Just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there is nothing you would rather do then keep at it. If the zombies do come we DO need academics. You can help rebuild society by teaching. You can help prevent it from happening again by making sure people learn. Don't underestimate the importance of being an academic. Which is kind of odd because you recognize the importance of knowledge. You can't learn without a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. That... is true. You have brightened my day.

      Delete
  3. But after you get your doctorate, then what? What would your next ultimate goal be?
    Be sure not to run out of goals to go for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well my ULTIMATE ultimate goal is to be an author. Although that's more of a distant dream u_u

      Delete
  4. if there's a zombie apocalypse, I've got your back bro. no probs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah man
      sorry but that doesn't make me feel so much better
      although I suppose we could discuss all the flaws of zombie media and make them die of social justice shame or s/t

      Delete
    2. Die the death of the undead.

      Delete
    3. how could it not make you feel better i've got this shit down. i'm great at silent hill and i've played my fair share of resident evil. aim for ze head.
      or we could do that yeah

      Delete
  5. I want to be a doctor for the reason that I can have my cake and eat it too -- if I specialize, I still get to be constantly learning, but I get to help people as well.

    Also I know how to survive in the wild. Zombiepocalypse, here I come! We can band together if you would like.

    By the way, I have a relative visiting from Sweden! I think you live in Sweden. This is exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does indeed sound both noble and self-fulfilling. Sometimes I wish I'd gone after a natural science-y career, but unfortunately shitty primary school ruined that wish for me.

      Whoa, sweet. Yes please if I can be on your team?

      I do indeed live in Sweden. Maybe I know your relative. Everyone knows everyone in Sweden. We are a small country and communicate via messages by moose.

      Delete
  6. I'm not sure if I would survive in a zombie apocalypse. But I think I know more about zombies than something like chemistry soooo...maybe~

    ReplyDelete