12 April 2012

Facial Recognition

I have a very good memory. Well, not when it comes to that household chore that I mysteriously never finished, but in many other situations. I think of it as being semi-photographic - I can't recall everything I've seen in minute detail, but words and patterns just stick in my mind. This has proven very useful in learning foreign writing systems, and many a last-minute cramming before a test.

It also means that I remember people's faces. I would recognize somebody I've seen around school in another situation. If I'm introduced to someone, it's a basic courtesy (in my book) to memorize their name and match it to their face. Useful as this may seem - because so many people claim to have no memory whatsoever for names and faces - it's created a lot of awkward moments. I might remember somebody's name, where we met, and any details about themselves they may have let slip ... but they have no recollection of me. At all. Oops.

Some people appreciate being remembered, while others are completely weirded out. People with unusual names in particular are relieved when somebody gets 'em right (this includes me; up here, Sophia is almost exclusively spelled with an f, so anyone who even asks about the ph has my instant respect), while people with large, active social lives might not process every acquaintance they bump into. Which is fine, I get that! It's just a bit ... iffy. Especially if the person in question is somebody you hoped to get to know. Ah well.

Anyway, this has led to me pretending to be more forgetful than I am. I will go "Oh, right, you were ... um ... this person from that place, right? :D" and wait for affirmation, when really I am not hesitant at all and could rattle off their name, their interests and how many cats they have.

At least the internet tells me I'm not alone.

A side note: Mysteriously, my face-recognition abilities don't seem to apply to recorded material, as I can never keep track of who is who in films.

9 comments:

  1. I sometimes forget names and faces, but eventually they stick. I don't have great memory elsewhere though. I forget to do things, and sometimes some things that happen. Oh well. My dad has an amazing memory though, you can ask him to do something once, days in advance, and he'll remember to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dad is a fine example for all of us; let's see if we can live up to his legacy...

      Delete
  2. Haha I'm the same! I've used the old forgetful technique to get out of why I didn't text people back at school etc, like, "oh was I supposed to do that? I completely forgot" when I didn't forget at all but was just hoping that they had lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH YEAH THAT. God I hate text-messaging, people expect you to reply immediately. Ugh, go away. :c

      Delete
    2. God I know. Though I always preferred text messaging to phone calls as I could ignore people for a few hours but that would just be weird in a phone call. But then again you always get had that hysterical friend who texted ya ten times a minute wondering where you are lol!

      Delete
  3. Why would you act forgetful? Sure if you do so you're not the only person there who seemingly forgot shit, but you may just make a good impression on people who care about others remembering stuff.

    Also, the side-note: you must've had fun watching LotR then ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "ACTS FORGETFUL NOT TO SEEM LIKE A STALKER"

      I do make a good impression sometimes, but more often than not people have been freaked out that this "total stranger" seems to know who they are.

      Actually it wasn't so bad this time around, but I've seen the movies before and it's much easier the second time.

      Delete
  4. I get the same, but only in moderation. I can forget the most mundane of things, and I often forget to do stuff, but I can remember song lyrics quite easily and there are movies of which I know almost all the lines. I also still know the names of random people who were in my sister's class in primary school, most of whom didn't even know me back then, let alone now. x'D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Argh, my memory is shit. absolute shite i tell yeee. (or something)
    It's always very awkward when someone says "well, what does he look like?" and I go all "uhm, I think he has glasses? No wait. Uhm, he might have a beard I think but eh". only thing i'm decent at remembering is words. booh.
    so i envy you and i hope that you treasure this gift you have been given.

    ReplyDelete