18 April 2012

Investment

Remember my mug collection, and how I promised it wasn't the last? Well, here's a second demonstration of something I hamster obsessively.

I adore television series. There are few things more fun than getting to know a cast of characters and follow their adventures in one installment after another. It might be partly hereditary, since I have a collection of aunts who have been watching the same soap operas for decades and discuss the characters as if they were people they knew. (Now that I think about it, they're just like me. Minus the decades part.) But whatever the reason, I know that it's great.

In my humble opinion, TV series > movies. Sure, films can be great, but they're so limited by their running time, and you just don't get immersed into the world in the same way as you do when you follow something over a longer period.

The only thing better than watching shows on TV is owning them on DVD. Not only because this induces a fantastic feeling of closure, but because it's great to have them there, tangible, waiting... Oh, and cliffhangers become a nonissue.

I enjoy DVD boxes so much that I even consider buying shows I don't even really like, just for the fun of the experience. Also, as long as something isn't absolutely horrendous, I can seriously consider watching it just to be able to discuss it.

Here is a list of the series I currently own on DVD:
  • Dollhouse, seasons 1 and 2. The jewel of my collection. Precious, precious jewel.
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer, seasons 1-4. I never finished watching season 4 because Buffy is one of those shows that I don't actually like very much? I really need to write a post about this someday, I wonder if I can fit 'er into one of the letters.
  • Merlin, seasons 1-3. I need to write a post about Merlin too and explain why season 3 blew.
  • Six Feet Under, seasons 1-5. This one also kind of devolved???
  • LOST, seasons 1-6. WOW I CAN WRITE WHOLE POSTS ABOUT ALL OF THESE, MAYBE I SHOULD
  • Game of Thrones, season 1. This is the newest addition.
...Really? Now that it's lined up like that, it doesn't look like much at all. That makes me very sad. I need more variety, pronto.

To put this post into perspective, I built a tower out of my DVD boxes and lay down behind it. This is what I do when I have free time.

12 comments:

  1. LOST OH MY GOD
    MICHAEL EMERSON
    http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsE/58287.gif
    HE'S AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOD MICHAEL EMERSON
      I CAN'T
      AJLDJSFGH I HAD COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN ABOUT MICHAEL EMERSON
      KDSGJndg :'''''D you made my day man

      Delete
  2. That's a pretty sturdy-looking fort you got there. x'D.

    ..This is the part where I tell you I've never really watched any of those series. >,>.
    *Hides in corner*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sturdy-looking, but sadly it's vulnerable to a well-aimed projectile ):

      It's OK, most of them aren't worth it anyway. :'D

      Delete
  3. >movies are limited by their running time
    Says the girl who recently had a LotR marathon. More movies should do that, long and multiple parts. So you have to take the time and actually immerse yourself in the movie, the story.
    ..it's sort of like a combination between a series and a movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More movies should do that but they don't. Instead of making a 2 and a half to 3 hour movie, they split it into two "normal length" movies. Such as the last two movies of Harry Potter. In some cases, it's not so bad. Fair enough, you want to get all the story in. But usually it just feels like a way to get more money. As for your collection Sophia, I find it impressive. I also wholly agree on having them all on hand so that you don't have to wait ages to see more. Though on the downside this also means that if you're like me you get through them OH SO FAST.

      Delete
    2. The last two HP movies were over two hours each. If they didn't split it into two then they would have cut so much out and the fans would have went bat shit crazy.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, LotR was different - it was basically one big long epic that they split over several films, so watching them all consecutively was cool. Plus I think the running time of the LotR series is longer than the entire first season of GoT... But yeah, I totally agree on that! I guess I meant the normal 90-120 minute movies.

      Delete
  4. OH MY GOD I WANT GAME OF THRONES DVD SO BADLY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ADORE MERLIN! YOU CANNOT SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT IT! THE FOURTH SERIES WAS ABSOLUTELY BAD ASS!!!!

    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen season 4! I liked the first two seasons but the third one only had a couple of good episodes, which was disappointing. :<

      Delete